Sunday, November 30, 2008

Soup I want to try and a bit of fun

Today was dark, blustery and it kept trying to snow, but mostly it was throwing slush at us and it kept melting. So it was a good day to pull out one of my mom's recipe books, "Saved by Soup". This book has over 100 soup recipes, and I have decided to make an effort to cook some of them. The soup base is chicken broth, so that's what I'm doing now, boiling some chicken, onion and celery. Anyway, we are planning on having toasted cheese sandwiches (home baked bread of course) with a homemade tomato-based soup sometime this week. I haven't decided which one.


When we were in Bedford I decided to bring home a bottle of tap water. Dad tests the water because of the fish and I test because of my violets, so I thought it might be interesting. I was interested in the difference in pH. I don't know if you will be able to see the details. Lake Michigan water is on the left and Bedford water on the right, all photos. Here is the pH test:



Lake Michigan pH about 7.2, Bedford about 7.6, which shows I would need to adjust the pH of the water more for my African Violets, which like more acidic water.

Next I did an Ammonia test:


I was surprised to see a level of 0.25 ppm in the Lake Michigan water. Bedford is zero.


The next test was for Nitrite:


As you can see, Lake Michigan has a level of less than 0.25 ppm but more than zero. Bedford has zero.

Both Lake Michigan and Bedford had zero Nitrates. Now I am wondering what is going on with the Lake water.

1 comment:

Lotta Dahl said...

I have heard it's wise to get filtration on your water in Bedford. Someone told us the reason many people in the area have galbladder problems is because of the high calcium levels from all the limestone when the water filters through it into the earth. I don't know if any of that is true or not, just what I heard... My husband does know a lot of people from bedford who have either had stones or their gallbaladders removed. He had his removed when he was still in school. I plan to get some sort of RODI unit or filtration system put in before too long. lol.