First of all, we had a good trip home. We took Hwy 46 west from Bloomington to Spencer. Then we took Hwy 231 north through Greencastle. From there we took Hwy 36 west to Rockville and the Hwy 41 north all the way home. It was a nice scenic drive and it didn't take much longer than taking I-65 to I-465 to Hwy 37 on the way down. Hwy 41 used to be bumpy but it's been repaved so it's nice and smooth. It was good to be home. The kitties missed us.
If anyone wants to know, the Super 8 in Bedford is clean, very clean, and has smoking fast DSL. If you like Mexican food, you should eat at the Casa Brava.
We drove around a lot, with the intent of covering as much area as possible. We drove around Bedford, Mitchell, Orleans and Paoli. The weather was cold. Very cold. Walking around town will have to wait till spring.
Bedford has the most in the way of services, but Paoli, population about 4,000, is the one that caught our eye. It is right on the edge of the Hoosier National Forest. I have health coverage there, but I have no idea about high speed internet and package service (UPS or FedEx). I just subscribed to their online newspaper. Paoli has a hospital, CVS, Walmart, along with quite a few other businesses. It looks like a clean, yet affordable area.
So, that's where we're at right now, thinking about Paoli, trying to learn more.
3 comments:
Sounds like you are close to finding your new home - glad the trip went well!
My husband's whole family and most of his friends live in Lawrence county. Bedford proper is okay, but he has always said he would never live in Mitchell. I don't know particulars on Paoli, but I think it is closest to the casino and I've heard possibly that brings a little bit of a not so wonderful element into that area. I know of at least a couple hands full of questionable characters that live there. LOL... like anywhere though, I'm sure it's got to have it's good and bad. A lot of Bedford looks bad, but I guess they aren't bad people, just run down homes. I would urge you to check out the local papers online for their crime reports, check out the sex offender listing for your town and it may sound crazy, but we did it... find the DEA website for covert meth labs. Our realtor told us it's state law that they disclose to you if the home was ever used as a methlab (that they know of) because it is a real danger to people that most don't think of when buying a house or even renting an apartment. Ask your realtor what sort of area you are looking for and if you got a good one they will tell you honestly the good and bad points of where you are looking at. Ours did and told us anything bad he knew about the house right up front. Greg Taylor I commented to you about already. Another good one is Karen Goodwine, she was my husband's teacher in high school. SHe was very friendly and helpful to us it just turned out the home she had wasn't the right one for us. If you will need an inspection I recommend Certainty Home Inspections (there is a link on my blog) he was VERY professional and complete. We needed him short notice and he dropped everything and came out. He takes pictures of everything as he goes, gives you a complete write up of everything in detail (ours was about 50 pages long) and puts it in a binder for you and on a cd incase you need to send any of it to insurance companies or anything. He does many different kids of inspections, but we got the complete home and termite inspection. We plan on getting the radon inspection soon after we get there because apparently our county is a high risk area for that. He was affordable too compared to the others we quoted out.
Thanks for all the helpful information! I will be doing my homework!
Post a Comment