Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bummer start to an OK day

We came this >< close to leaving this morning. I woke up at 4 AM, couldn't get back to sleep for hours, got up finally, had vertigo and looked like death warmed over with a headache. We decided to stay, figuring the trip might make it worse and we should wait it out, or I might get better. I was about 90% better by noon. That is why we rarely go out to eat. (see bottom of previous post)

We took a drive around Bedford, came back to the hotel for a snack, and then drove to Mitchell, population 4,500+. We didn't care too much for the huge concrete plant. Some neighborhoods are very nice and some are run down. In all fairness, Mitchell is proud of the fact that it is the home of astronaut Virgil "Gus" Grissom, one of the seven original NASA astronauts. It is also located near the beautiful Spring Mill State Park. Bedford, population about 14,000, has just about everything we would need in the way of shopping, at least the way dad and I shop. After some looking, dad and I decided to eat at the Casa Brava. It was a good choice. I even had a Margarita.

On the way home we plan to drive the scenic route, from Bloomington, Hwy 46 to 231, then north to Greencastle, then to Crawfordsville, then 74 west, then over to 63 and then 41 north to home. We're leaving early, so we'll probably be home early afternoon.

When we get home I'll look into subscribing to a paper from Paoli. Next spring we hope to drive down and zero in on an area, take some time to meet and talk to the locals. Friendships are important, even more than rocks and hills.

No comments: