Saturday, February 2, 2013

Countdown to My Hubby's Visa Interview

INTERVIEW DATE FEBRUARY 28!!!!!!! We are excited. Hubby can't wait to get it over with (little bit of stress---everyone has it). If your first reaction is yay, he can get on a plane right after the interview, right? The answer is NOOOO. When he is approved (I'm not even saying "if") the visa will be issued about 3 business days later. I say "about" because nothing is promised. The embassy may decide to make him wait longer while they double-check our papers. They say never buy a ticket until you have the visa in your hand.

The abbreviations:
USCIS - U. S. Citizenship & Immigration Service
I-130 - form to apply to bring an alien spouse to the USA
NVC - National Visa Center
AOS - Affidavit of Support
DS-230 - the visa application

Our timeline:
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo
07-Nov-2011 filed I-130, paid fee at lawyer's office
21-Nov-2011 I-130 received by USCIS this is our "priority date"
28-Nov-2011 case updated (noted on website)
21-Apr-2011 Expected Approval date (5 months)
10-Jun-2012 contacted USCIS via email about delay
22-Jun-2012 email from USCIS - security checks pending
23-Aug-2012 APPROVAL! Finally after 9 months
05-Sep-2012 NVC case created
17-Sep-2012 NVC case number arrived by email
21-Sep-2012 paid AOS and DS-230 fees to lawyer
22-Sep-2012 I leave for my second trip to Kosovo
24-Sep-2012 AOS and Visa fees show as paid online
02-Oct-2012 returned from visit to hubby with signed DS-230
08-Oct-2012 brought papers to lawyer
31-Oct-2012 signed AOS
02-Nov-2012 police cert lost, hubby mails new one
16-Nov-2012 received new police cert in the mail
21-Nov-2012 papers sent to NVC
13-Dec-2012 NVC requests passport photos - resent
10-Jan-2013 CASE COMPLETE!! via email
15-Jan-2013 case leaves NVC (notified by email)
18-Jan-2013 Skopje embassy receives (DHL tracking)
28-Feb-2013 interview - Result_________
xx-xxx-2013 visa issued
xx-xxx-2013 Port of Entry - Chicago O'Hare


 

No comments: