Exciting! And we have so many plans. My boss is holding a company conference this year! First one since 2009 at the Natchez State Park in Tennessee. Still don't know the location of this year's conference. Hubby is a good driver, I mean really good, and he LOVES to drive. They drive on the same side of the road and sit in the same side of the car as we do. So the transition will be easy.
The main difference, here we have more stop lights, stop signs and police. We have fewer people walking everywhere, crossing streets whenever and wherever they please. In Kosovo there are few street lights, many round-abouts and mostly just a lot of speed bumps on the MAIN ROADS for cryin' out loud instead of police! I think I only saw one stop sign in all of Prishtina. Most intersections have nothing other than a slightly busier street intersecting with a less busy street. Everyone just drives AT IT from 4 directions and slows down, courteously allowing the heavier traffic to pass while nosing their car in until the other guy stops and lets them proceed. It's all like a courteous traffic jam---no road rage.
This would not work in America! But we have the lights and stop signs to control the traffic. I was explaining this to hubby and he said, "American drivers are better drivers." I replied, "No, we just have more laws and lights and signs...like herding cattle." He laughed. Honestly, the traffic in Prishtina is similar to downtown Chicago or downtown New York. Hubby drives a stick shift! In this crazy traffic! Traffic moves there like a school of fish, artfully dodging and darting in all directions but never hitting one another (well 99% of the time).
It's amazing that Albanians can all drive among each other like this and no one gets angry, and that nosing into traffic causes others to yield politely. When we were in a round-about in Prishtina I saw a vehicle sitting there, the mystified driver wondering how in the heck to enter. Must have been a foreigner. I would have done the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment