Friday, December 10, 2010

Dinner & a Movie

Dinner tonight:

Chicken in the crockpot with onions, lemon and olives. This makes real tender chicken, and it works well with skinless, boneless chicken breast. If I'm in a hurry (like tonight) I cut each breast into 4 chunks. Sauté in olive oil until browned. In the meantime, warm the crockpot up. I usually run warm water into it and let it sit a few minutes so the ceramic will warm all the way through. (Never put hot food into a cold crockpot---it could crack). Then I dump out the water, reserving about 2 cups warm water, and plug it in.

Back to the pan of chicken. Add a chopped onion to the pan and sauté but not all the way done, just about halfway---when you see some brown and some slight clearness but not all the way wilted.

Add half the chicken to the crockpot to make one layer. Add some onion and dump in a handful of green olives. Add some thinly sliced lemon and some pepper. I usually don't add salt because the olives are salty. Add the rest of the chicken, onions another bunch of olives, lemon and pepper. It's not rocket science, no measuring needed, but the lemon can be strong, so distribute a few slices, maybe 4 or 5 max. Add a little water just to barely cover but not quite.

Cook on high if time is short, or on low if you are giving it several hours (4 maybe). Serve with basmati rice on the side (the cooking juice is yummy on the rice) and a vegetable. If you don't like green olives, just discard them.

Move---Cats & Dogs. I haven't seen it yet.

No comments: