"Culture shock is the personal disorientation a person may feel when experiencing an unfamiliar way of life due to immigration or a visit to a new country, or to a move between social environments, also a simple travel to another type of life." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock
I know it will happen to my hubby but I don't know to what degree. Thankfully he has an Albanian friend here in Indiana who is going to help him find a job. Having someone to talk to in his native language who has been here long enough to know the ropes will help him tremendously.
And there is a Balkan store here in town that has many foods that looked familiar to me after shopping in Kosovo. I can buy the salty wrinkled black olives and more than one variety of feta-type cheeses that all taste the same to me lol lol. We need that for making burek. It's so yummy!
My hubby knows how to cook and he will teach me to make burek, or as he calls it, pita. It can be made with 2 different fillings, meat or spinach and cheese, which is my favorite. I told him, "I'm sorry but feta cheese is very expensive here." And he said, "That's ok we will use normal cheese." Normal cheese in Kosovo is some other type of feta, to me anyway. So I was trying to explain to him about cheese here in America being more like what they have in northern Europe. And by the way....Albanian burek is very good and it NEVER gives me a stomach ache or heartburn like spanakopita.
I also want to learn to make Baklava the way his mom does. It is so very good and it's not overpoweringly sweet like the Greek kind with the honey in it. And speaking of Greek, what the heck is it with the Greek yogurt everywhere? My daughter and I tried it and it was awful. The Albanians obviously have much better food than the Greeks.
His large and very close family.....I know he will miss them.
No comments:
Post a Comment