Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reflecting on my parent's past

I've been watching WW II in HD. I have wept a lot. It is gruesome to watch, yet I feel like I am seeing first hand what my parents lived through, especially my dad as a B-17 navigator and bombardier. I am amazed at the stories told and photographed by the people who lived to tell them. My dad flew 50 missions over Italy, north Africa and Europe. I tried to see if any of the planes were El Diablo but I didn't see the name. Later I decided to google it and actually found a book that mentions El Diablo. I found a couple mentions but not the 347th squadron which my dad was in. I also found The 99th Bomb Group Historical Society. More serching and I just found some basic history of the 347th. My dad used to tell a lot of interesting stories. Too bad no one ever wrote them down.

My dad standing in front of the B-17 El Diablo

No comments: