Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dinner & a movie

Chinese takeout and a Chinese movie, Up the Yangtze, a moving and well-done documentary about the effect the building of the Three Gorges Dam had on the two million people that were displaced by it. I was surprised that China allowed the suffering to be publicized. I was surprised to see the people speak about their pain, instead of just saying what the government wants them to say. It was also interesting to see the training of the young Chinese hired onto the new cruise ships that course the waters. I highly recommend this compassionate documentary. It plays out more like a movie and is worth watching.

There is another documentary worth watching. I don't think it's being broadcast right now, but you can visit the website, FRONTLINE: young & restless in China. I never look at Chinese-made goods the same anymore. China is a country of "haves" and "have-nots", and most of the people are the "nots". They toil endlessly, many times in conditions that harm their health, to eek out a living. I cannot pick up an imported item in a dollar store without wondering what woman or child is getting paid next to nothing to make hundreds of them. On the other hand, some of the lucky ones are making lots of money. It's interesting to learn their attitudes.

No comments: