One of the virtues of going through old papers is finding a long-lost "gem". In my early years my mom never made anything from a box and rarely bought what she could make from scratch. In summer (which was HOT in the southern California desert), my mom would make orange sherbet in the freezer. I still remember it as tasting better than what you buy in the store. Now that I found the recipe, maybe I should try it...
Jello Orange Milk Sherbet
Freezes in 3 to 4 hours.
Add 3/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water. Boil 2 minutes. Dissolve 1 package orange Jello in hot liquid. Add 1 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Freeze in refrigerator tray (an aluminum tray that came with refrigerators in the old days---have no idea what to substitute with right now). When partly frozen, beat with mixer until fluffy (I think it had to be transfered to a bowl for this). Add 2 cups milk, blend. Continue freezing, stirring after 30 minutes (the mixture would be returned to the tray for this).
I found some other recipes that I may post another time.

No comments:
Post a Comment