Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Darn Appliances!

Well, I told dad I don't want to buy new ones! They can systematically break down and when they are all broken we HAVE to move!! Less to pack! We can throw them all away. Buy new ones in our new location.

But we have to fix the oven. There are just some appliances you don't want to be without. The igniter coil went out----again. I had to change it a few years ago. Yes--me. Dad can't crawl halfway into the oven to remove the darn thing. Fortunately the oven door detaches. Then all I have to do is remove the broiler. Then I have to sit down on the floor and crawl halfway in so I can reach the two screws on the **bottom** side of the coil. Why on earth they couldn't install them on TOP I don't know. Nothing like crawling half-way into an oven to give you the willies. Well, I did it before, so this time it didn't scare me.

Last year the dryer started acting up. The belt is loose and it makes a horrible noise. So I hang clothes (in the laundry room in winter) and just use the dryer to fluff them up. I actually enjoy hanging clothes. Yes I do, really. Thankfully the washer is working fine. The dishwasher died, though. Did you know the bottom rack from the dishwasher with a towel under it makes an awesome dish rack when placed on the counter next to the sink? I don't mind doing dishes, in fact it's rather relaxing.

So does it sound like we're poor and living in hardship? No, absolutely not! Not at all. This is a choice. And it's exercises, a break from sitting at the computer. Why buy all new stuff, get rid of the old, have it installed, only to have to haul it all out and down with us when we move? Dad and I made a challenge and we're sticking to it. The new stuff arrives in our new place!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Since you like doing dishes and hanging laundry, you're welcome to do mine! :-P We dont have a dryer here but most people dont since it's sunny 9 - 10 months out of the year. We have an oven but we hardly use it, instead we have a toaster oven that has conventional oven settings. It works well for just the two of us and it uses less energy and doesnt heat up the kitchen. However our washer is acting up again. Last year it was making this horrible squealing noise during the rinse cycle. It stopped for a few months but it has started up again. Thankfully we already have the part to fix it, we're just waiting for it to finally die. LOL

candy said...

Oh, well, send me a ticket and I'll fly right over! You are welcome to use my washer. LOL